Thursday 16 January 2014

Day 7: Positive Psychology Center Visit

What went well? 
  1. It snowed this morning! It was really pretty watching it through the window.
  2. Finally got to the gym! It was the first time I've exercised properly since I've gotten here (although carrying all the stuff I bought to my dorm was a pretty good arm workout tbh).
  3. First Contemplative Sciences and Human Development seminar. There are only 10 students in this class (yes, 10), and many of them are meditators, and one has even done the 10-day silent retreat like me! Again, my classmates were very engaged in discussion. I think it's going to be a great class.
  4. Visited the Positive Psychology Center!


I was here to meet a postdoctoral research fellow, who very kindly showed me around and introduced me to people here. It was a real highlight to see where the bulk of positive psychology research is happening.

What did I learn? 
  • Professors here are far more "fluid" with their syllabuses. They all say that they reserve the right to amend the syllabus, to change readings, requirements, etc. This is quite different from UniMelb, where the syllabus is pretty much the Bible (in most subjects I've taken). For example, in one of my subjects last year, the lecturer wasn't allowed to change our final exam from a sit-down to a take-home, even though the students all preferred the latter, just because that was what had been written in the handbook & syllabus.

No comments:

Post a Comment