Monday 3 February 2014

Day 25: Semi-Snow Day!

Today, it started snowing again...



So my new singing teacher couldn't come in, and neither could one of my professors. Which meant I suddenly had an unexpected 4 hours (the whole afternoon) freed up!

What went well? 

  1. Went to the Platt Performing Arts House to practice (in the room where my singing lesson was meant to be) and the acoustics are so much better than the music building practice rooms. Seriously, it is demoralising when practicing in an acoustically dead room. Anyway, it looks like anyone can just kinda use the rooms when they haven't been booked, so I will check the printed bookings each week to see when they're technically free.
  2. Finished all my readings for sociology of mental illness for the week. It was quite interesting to learn about how stigma can be conceptualised, and the effects of stigma.
What did I learn? 
  • Buddhists sure came up with some seriously creative (and messed up) hells. Including one where mothers are swimming in pools of menstrual blood. Just...what. There are 16 hells, related to what you did, and the professor reckons he's definitely going to the one for people who verbally abuse their students :P.
  • Stigma consists of the processes of labelling, stereotyping, separation, and discrimination, and must involve the exercise of power.
Miscellaneous thoughts 
  • I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but security is high in all aspects of campus. You can't even get into the library without swiping your PennCard, and when you leave the library, you have to show them your open bag and hand them your books to make sure they've been checked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment