Sunday 16 February 2014

Day 38: New York! Part 2

What went well? 

  1. Slept soooo well in my very comfy hotel bed. The hotel (The Out NYC) was really nice, but also very reasonably priced ($95 for the night) since I was in a 4-person shared room -  you get your own lockable closet & there are curtains around each queen-sized bed. I didn't have to talk to (or actually even really see) anyone I was sharing the room with. Here are some photos of the public spaces in the hotel. It's pretty hipster.
    •  


  2. The hotel was only about a 15 minute walk from Times Square. Felt like I got a real "New York" experience here:
  3. So. Much. Stimulation. Flashing billboards everywhere. #sensoryoverwhelm
    People lining up to buy same-day discounted tickets for Broadway shows. Good to know they exist! Might look into it for a future trip.
  4. Passed a fruit stall on the way to the bus back, and bought a HUGE (like 4-5x the normal size) punnet of blueberries for just $5. #winning
  5. Saw the Soweto Gospel Choir perform. (free ticket again!) It was a very vibrant, energetic performance.

What did I learn? 
  • Environment matters. You know, I'm usually not a very materialistic or consumeristic person, but surrounded by all the shops in Times Square, I suddenly felt like I needed to, like, buy something. It wasn't that bad though, I only bought a top.

No comments:

Post a Comment